Pages

Friday, February 16, 2007




The blizzard...


We caught the blizzard, along with the high winds and drifting. What fun. :) These photos show the snow, but don't share the biting wind that came along with it!
I brought the sheep in for the first time this winter, the wind was blowing right into the calf huts and the sheep were covered with snow! The ewes had 3 foot drifts in their paddock, well, that just about comes up to my waist (I'm 5'2"). The rams went into the horse stalls, the ewes have the run of the barn. So now I can sleep better knowing that they have someplace dry to lay down.

The chickens won't leave the coop. So I have been feeding and watering them inside. The cock's wattle is frostbitten, no eggs at all from the girls.

4 comments:

Kim Nikolai said...

Now that you have your sheepies and chickens situated, I sure hope you are in keeping warm! It's finally warming up here for us. I'm REALLY tired of winter, you too?

Kathy L. said...

What you described brought back very vivid memories of that storm we had a few weeks ago...biting cold winds straight into the barn. We had to put up 6 ml. plastic over the predator doors (welded wire, etc. over a frame that looks like a screen door) just to keep sheep and chicken pieces-parts from getting frostbite.
I hope YOU are keeping warm. Watch out you don't blow away, Juliann!

Juliann said...

I keep telling myself that in two more months, we'll have sunshine and lambs! And then a few months after that, we'll be complaining about how HOT it is! lol!
I still wouldn't trade farm life for anything. :)

Kathy L. said...

Same here, Juliann...
I decided not to complain about the cold (maybe just the wind?) as I really don't like the heat and flies of hot summer. I made my mind up to enjoy this time even if I do have to put on twelve layers of clothing to take warm water out to the sheep and chickens.
I'll let you know if it works. ;-)