Pages

Saturday, July 21, 2007

















Ram lamb chat. Sometimes, something special is born here, something to be proud of. I really like this little moorit guy, so I'm sharing him here. He is #84. I don't name my lambs until I decide if they are worth papering or not. If they are staying, I'll think up names when it comes time to evaluate and paper, around 10 weeks of age. If I'm selling them, I like to let the buyer pick out a name.
If they are culls and will be shipped to auction, they stay "a number".



#84 is just dynamite. I was going to keep him, as I really like brown factored rams, but somebody else wants him more than I want to keep him. He will be going to Arkansas to help build a flock of polled shetlands in that state. I think that's exciting.
#84 is by Pompey Magnus, can't you tell by that rear end? His dame is a homegrown black who obviously carries moorit recessivly, Lil'Country Seal. Seal is by Gallifrey, and out of a Malcolm granddaughter. This boy is a genetic polled powerhouse! I'll be repeating this breeding next year for sure! (Now watch, I'll get a turd, lol.)




This nice spotted boy will be staying. I love spotted shetlands, and I'll be thrilled to develop a line of polled spotties!
I've come to the conclusion that the three month marks is a good time to evaluate scur grown in the pollies. By then, you can somewhat get an idea of what the scurs will be like when the ram is mature.
So far, this guy had bone knobs, which are fine with me. I still have to get him DNA tested before I can paper him. His dame was in with Gallifrey, and I saw Gallifrey cover her. But Kokomo did slip through the fence one day...And this does not look like a Gallifrey baby.
NASSA, our registry, does not allow a lamb to be registered if the dame was exposed to more than one ram during a heat cycle. This preserves the integrity of our pedigrees, which is extremely important.
Sooo, hence DNA testing to see who the "baby-daddy" is.
I'll see if I can get this group onto Jerry Springer, the bouncers can hold back Kokomo and Gallifrey when the results are read, Josephine can batt her eyelashes and get booed by the audience.
A name...something about this guy just screams "Yeah baby! I'm leaning towards "Austin Powers". Not sure I want to do that to the poor guy. Doesn't he look like Austin Powers?

3 comments:

Sabrina Wille Erickson said...

The fleece on the Pompey ramling looks gorgeous.
Congratulations on having some major successes in your polled breeding program. Those boys look great.

Michelle at Boulderneigh said...

Juliann, you okay? Your blog is silent and no new messages on the lists, either. Just a bit worried about you....

Juliann said...

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for checking up on me. I'm okay.
I've been feeling very melancholy lately, and haven't felt much like socializing much, either on-line or off.
I do have some things going on that are too personal to share on-line. I'm spending a lot of time alone and trying to deal with things.
I think it's just a little phase I'm going through, but it means so much to me that you cared enough to ask. Honestly, I'll be okay.
Thank you for asking. :)