Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Last weekend was Michigan Fiber Fest, one of the highlights of my year. A weekend of friends, food, and sheep! Lots of Shetlands, of course, and other breeds including Blue Faced Leisters and crossbreds showing in the Natural Colored Wool classes, which was really different.
Yes, our hearts belong to Shetlands. But there are other really cool breeds out there to play with.
Friday night, we all met at a restaurant for a fine meal and drinks. Saturday was the show! My good pal Stephen (My BFF at MFF) showing his BFL. Stephen's ram lamb took second!



Becky Utech helps show in the BFL class.
I got to play around with a yearling ram showing in the Natural Colored Wool class. Now THAT was a blast! This was a first for me, showing a sheep other than a shetland. This handsome boy is a Wensleydale X Cheviot cross. Like handling a calm, placid draft horse versus my high strung "Arabians of the sheep world".
Gail Former gave me a quick lesson on bracing, and off we went to win a red ribbon. I had a lot of fun and now the wheels are turning in my head.... ;) Natural Color Wool classes.....mmmmmm.....

Saturday night was Heather's famous pig roast! I ate so much I had a bellyache, and then Stephen bought a bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream, my favorite! I found a scurred mioget ram in Heather's pasture that was on her cull list, and I just had to bring him home with me.
Back at the house, Stephen, Kim N., Becky U., Garrett and I sat around and talked sheep color genetics until 1:00 a.m.!
A lazy rainy Sunday kept the crowds away, then a white-knuckle drive home pulling the trailer in heavy rain. Semi's whizzing by, cars cutting in front of me.

Sunday night I was home! My favorite place to be. I miss my husband and my dogs. Jellybean cuddled with me on the couch. I don't think I was ever so tired in my life! What a great weekend!

4 comments:

Nancy K. said...

I miss Stephen!!

Glad you had a good time. Like, there was any way you wouldn't!.

I love the name "Jellybean"!!!!

:-)

Are you going to try to make it over for my party on September 22? It just won't be the same with out you!

Love ya ~

Nanc

Michelle at Boulderneigh said...

Now aren't you glad you went? :-)

Kathy L. said...

Envy, envy, envy....


:)

Juliann said...

Hey gals,

Yes, I'm glad I went! What a blast! I just missed my little girl, but she remembered me.
Nancy, I wish I could make it, but I'm on call for work that week, I'm not allowed to be more than a 1/2 hour from my house. :( I'll be there with you in spirit, and I'll see you at Jefferson!