Pages

Friday, August 31, 2007


We had quite the excitment last week, and not the good kind of exitement. A storm, the worse one I've ever seen, came out of the north like a black wall. As I watched it coming, my unease grew to panic when I saw a dark grey funnel drop slowly out of the sky to the east, with a pencil-thin sister funnel next to it. Beneath, a ring of clouds began rotating quickly in a perfect circle.

I warned Tom, grabbed Jellybean, and went into the crawlspace. The thoughts that go through one's head in moments such as this.


Our farm was hit with 80 mph winds. The wind screamed outside, then eventually died down.

I know things could have been so much worse. I am grateful the funnel did not touch down and hurt anybody. We had no power for 15 hours, no phone lines for 4 days. The chimney blew off our roof, the 4 horse stock trailer blew across the yard, and the calf huts were everywhere. Thank God the sheep had been allowed into the big barn when the rains started. Soon after, they were out grazing like nothing happened!
With no electricity, Tom had to use the generator all night to power the sump pump. Otherwise, the crawlspace began flooding. We loaded the garage chest freezer with our food, so we would not loose everything.
I read by candlelight on the couch, trying to calm down and sleep, but could not. I wanted to stay close to the flooded crawlspace, just in case...I was just too worked up to rest.
Jellybean slept next to me, peaceful in "the now" that dogs are blessed with.
We can really learn a lesson from our animals.
Gotta look at the bright side of things, our pond is now full, lol!
On a different note, I finally got the paternity tests back this morning from UC Davis. Gallifrey is Austin's father, not Kokomo. I'd have lost that bet. So Austin is a full brother to Rugger.
Now how on earth did I get a yuglet sokket from two solid moorits, neither of whom (I thought) carry spots?

6 comments:

Sabrina Wille Erickson said...

Juliann, I'm so glad you were safe and that your power came back on.

Congratulations on Gallifrey being more than meets the eye!

Garrett808 said...

Holy Crap Juliann! I'm glad to hear you and your critters are ok and that the pond is full! Hope that things are back to normal now. Four days without phone/internet and i'd be going crazy!

Michelle at Boulderneigh said...

These Shetlands are just full of surprises, aren't they? Can't wait to see a photo of your new mioget boy!

Juliann said...

Good morning!
I'll get some photos up of my new guys on the polled list, and on my poor neglected website.
I took some yesterday. :)
You know, Garrett, it wasn't that bad now having a phone. I'm not a big phone person anyways, and I had a little extra time to relax catch up on my reading, which was nice.

Becky Utecht said...

OMG, I didn't realize you had been through such an experience Juliann! Glad that you and Tom were prepared to deal with the lack of electricity and that no one was hurt. I'm with Garrett, I would go nuts without the phone for 4 days. See you at Jefferson next weekend. I'm enjoying your book so much!

Kathy L. said...

Bless your hearts, Juli! I am glad to hear you all are safe and only property was damaged.
Before we moved here, we lived for 7 years on Fort Riley. I remember many a meal growing cold as we ran to the basement (with outside entry only) in the old Army Quarters we had. It can be terrifying! I am so glad you are safe...AND your pond is full! ;)