Pages

Saturday, March 15, 2008

There's something about Netty...


Not a lot of interesting things to say the last few months.
Mud.
Mud.
Grey skies.
Mud mixed with sheep poop. More mud and ice.

North Wind Netty has been my spring cheerleader for the last few years. When I'm tired of winter, weary of hauling hay, cracking the ice out of water buckets, weary of seeing brown earth, Netty is the first to show me a sign of the new life that is to come.
Netty is the first to show me a bag, and she has been the first to lamb the last two years. Go Netty!
I bred her to Pompey Magnus, hoping for an exceptional katmoget (or two?) that will rock the barn with it's awesomeness.

Lil'Country Dalmatica, along with a few of the other girls, is blowing her fleece. What a mess around her neck! If I were patient enough, I could pluck (or roo) her fleece now.

I am going to try to shear the sheep myself this year with my new Lister shears. Looks like some of them, at least, are ready for shearing.

Dalmatica, please give me a white ewe lamb this spring!


Lil'Country Carmella, a moorit gulmoget. What a lovely face!


The boy's rear ends. Nobody wants their picture taken while they're eating....


Purebred Shetland Valora standing next to a purebred Clun Forest ewe. Look at all the chunk on that big meaty girl. I'm starting to see bags on the two purebred Cluns. I bred them to Justalit'l Boomerang, my Dixen son.

This will be my first time lambing out ewes other than shetlands, I hope they are good mothers. Both are proven, so they should be. I wonder what the Clunland lambs will look like?

A wary Jellybean on my lap as I curl up with a book. A good book and a good dog. Life is good.

7 comments:

Garrett808 said...

WOHOO!!! A NEW POST!!

I've been checking daily to see what's been happening down in your neck of the woods.

I'm glad to see some udders your girls. I myself see a few here, I guess I am expecting them anytime after the 26th of March. THAT"S NEXT WEEK!

I'm also expecting the possibility of MANY polled babies (hey that's good!) You should check out my blog maybe a few weeks ago as i posted all the animals that carry polled.

I can't wait to see photos of your lambs!

Nancy K. said...

As always, it's so good to see you posting again! I MISS you and the only way I have of keeping up with what you're up to is through your blog ~ so don't be a stranger!!!

;-)

Juliann said...

Good morning,

Great hearing from you both, I'm sorry, I've been boring lately! Nothing happening that is of interest to anyone. Of course, the prospect lf LAMBS has got my heart beating again. :)
I horribly behind on everyone's blogs.
I havent' been on-line much (busy at work) but I promise to stop by and get some comments in. Be patient with me! :)

Franna said...

Juliann,
It's never boring to hear from you :-)
We've had mud, mud, and more mud here, too. It sure gets old!
Hoping for ewe lambs all around - with just a few outstanding rams!
- Franna

Kathy said...

I guess we don't have to pay the ransom...you must've escaped! Good to see a new post, Juliann!

This is a dearth period for us, too...nothing but warm weather, cold weather, more snow, warm weather, etc. I should plan for earlier lambs for something to do in Feb/Mar, but if they were born then, there's no where to play 'cause the snow's too deep!

It was a good thing I hadn't had a shearer come as we're back into winter here. I can hardly wait to see all the lambs at your place!

Becky Utecht said...

Yup, me too. I think your Clunlands are going to be interesting!
We've been getting snow here but the weather's warm, so it will melt fast. Spring and lambs will be here in no time! I'm nervous this year with two first time BFL ewes and three first time Shetland Mules lambing. I know how well the Shetlands lamb and mother their babies, but there's always that anxious feeling that doesn't subside until the last lamb of the year hits the ground.

Sharrie said...

Nice article about polled sheep. Very interesting --- but beyond me when you get into the difficult genetic stuff.