Pages

Sunday, June 08, 2008

Our latest local bad boy....

Some good photos from our local paper...


Here is how the tornado looked going by our farm, with the two funnels. It was still in the sky south of Braidwood, bouncing a tail up and down. By the time it reached Custer Park, where I live, it had settled onto the ground and was just starting to get down to business.
It builds up some steam north of Wilmington...headed towards the area south of Frankfort & Mokena... I was in New Lenox, just west of it. Honestly, if I saw this coming towards me with my own eyes while it was happening, I'd have been totally hysteric and sh***** myself.
As it was, I was hiding in the basement of my folk's house with a comforter over my head. We were getting a blow-by-blow via cell phone from a deputy who was watching it and I felt so scared and helpless. NOTHING scares me like a tornado, nothing. I even have nightmares about them, all the time.
I'm a weather wimp! :)

Here it is petering out near Cook County.
Lots of people hurt, expecially people who were driving. Lots of houses and barns torn up, but no one was killed! Our warning system is getting lots of credit for giving people advance notice so they could take cover. Ah life in the Midwest! :) You would think I'd be used to them by now, but I'm not.
Did I really think a comforter over my head would have kept me safe, lol? ;)

6 comments:

Sharrie said...

Awesome pictures, but I am still glad that the tornadoes from that storm skipped us. Glad everyone is OK. We just got rain, 4.75 inches. Saw storm damage when we went to church. Stay safe!!

Nancy K. said...

I'm with you, Juliann! If I saw one of those babies coming at me, it wouldn't have to kill me ~ I'd drop dead of a heart attack on the spot!!

I'm glad you're safe, my friend...

Corinne R. said...

I'm a weather wimp too. I guess it comes from living in the midwest, we get to see too much of this stuff!
Well....if the comforter makes you FEEL better..... :).

Alaska Shetland Shepherd said...

WOW! You made it! Celebrate making it through another storm. Do you have a nice storm cellar? Or basement to wait it out in? If so, maybe you could make it a better place to be when you're scared. Take your favorite stuffed toy and put it there, some comfort foods, maybe a radio and headphones. Fear is horrible, those tornadoes are horrible. They scared me to death when I lived in Michigan too. I can deal with earthquakes better than tornadoes, even tho I love the Midwest so much!

Juliann said...

I haven't seen a tornado or funnel in YEARS, now two in two years. Something wierd is going on with the weather. I don't like this trend at all.
Suzanne, we've got a walking crawl, about 4' deep. I wouldn't live in a house without some type of shelter. I did have my big, strong DH to cling to, he made me feel better although he probably couldn't have helped me any more than the comforter, lol!
I think I'd rather have earthquakes than tornados. I think...

Kathy said...

Juliann, you are no wimp about being afraid of tornadoes! In fact, you're in good company. Anyone with common sense has a great deal of respect and fear of these things. I had one go over our quarters when we lived in Kansas. Ralph was away at the time. I barely had time to get our daughter and make it to the master bedroom closet with her. To get to the basement we would have had to go outside and there was way too much debris flying around - we would have been beaned by something before we reached the basement stairs!
I have also been knocked to the ground by lightening...so when I hear thunder, I go in, period!
I am so glad to hear you're are OK!