Pages

Friday, April 10, 2009

Latest lambs

The last few days we saw Shelteringpines Chalmeaux give us spotted kat twins. The ram lamb is pictured first, krunet with blaze, and sokket on the hind legs. He has leathery patches on his poll area which are raised, I'm guessing he'll scur but he'll be fun to watch.




Here is just what I wanted as a replacement. A spot carrying ewe lamb. Sire is Eragon. Chalmeaux will be available for $250 after weaning her lambs. If you think you don't like horned ewes, "Shamu" will change your mind. She's a friendly and eye-catching ewe.

Big black ewe single out of Valiant Valora. No sugar lips on the lamb. Sire is Hickory. I had thought Valora was homozygous for Ag, but I guess not. (good!)


Zephyr Easter Day gave me a black gulmoget ram lamb, no horn buds. This little guy was stuck for a while when I found her in labor. I had to pull him. Poor little guy's head was swollen up like a grapefruit. Even his poor little eyes were swollen shut.

Thank God it wasn't a head only presentation, we'd have lost him. Poor Easter was exhausted. Got him started on a bottle and massaged his head for a while. Easter got a drench of Power Punch, and some electrolytes. Once the swelling went down, the little guy found the teat and now both dame and lamb are doing well.


This is my only colored mule, out of Cora. He's quite handsome, and I like looking at him.

Last but not least, here is one of my little bum mule lambs. All five are doing very well, and Alice had recovered from her milk fever. A big thanks to Mark Lelli of muleflock.com for talking me through her treatment, and even taking the time from his busy day to follow up and see how she was responding.
I still can't believe she recovered as quickly as she did.

5 comments:

Rayna said...

Lovely lambs! And I love "Shamu" *sigh* Maybe I'll have to save up more money...ugh...You are all EVIL! :D But I love ya anyway :)

Carol B. said...

I am so glad to see your lambing up dates. With Shetlands the colors, spots, and patterns make lambing feel like Christmas since there are always some surprises. Who sired Easter's lamb? I was not even sure she carried polled. I am so glad to know that the Quints are doing fine. And I am always excited to know that Hickory has sired lambs. I feel like he is preserving Leila's line of polled genetics coming down from Dailey bloodlines.

Gail V said...

Juliann! I love that Chalmeaux's lambs!
What a fun start. I'll be watching the baby pictures!
Gail

Juliann said...

Hope everyone is having a happy Easter weekend.
Carol, Easter was bred to Hickory. She has depressions in her head with no hint of bone knobs, so I'm guessing she carries polled.
I'm very happy with what Hickory has given me. Conformation on these lambs is better than any of my previous lamb crops, and that's what I've really been trying to work on. Hickory might, must might be a full poll. No horn buds on any of his ram lambs so far. I have a feeling Hickory will be siring Little Country lambs for many years here. :)

Terri D. said...

Shamu is beautiful. I'm with Rayna...sigh... Congrats on the save with your stuck lamb. :-)