Pages

Monday, April 06, 2009

"Octomom"

A few photos of "Octomom" and her litter of mules. Please excuse the turds, I don't have fancy photo editing programs on my 'puter.

The lambs are doing great. The two largest of the bunch, a ram lamb and a ewe lamb, barely know I exist. They are doing fine nursing off Alice. I catch them up and give them a few sips off the bottle, but they don't seem to be needful of it. A third lamb, a ram lamb, will come up and help himself to some of the bottle then run back to mom.


The two tiniest, the runty ram and ewe lamb, rely mostly on bottle feeding. They are very clingy. The ram lamb loves to crawl up onto my lap and nap afterwards. I'm getting pretty attached to "Mouse", I'll have to be careful.
My game plan, as of right now, is to find pet homes for the two little ones. I don't need anymore sentimental pets eating up my resources, and they will make someone a nice pair of pet sheep.
I will supplement the trio as needed with the bottle.
Alice is still lame, although she is doing much better now that she is on the calcium shots. I'm still giving her banamine and vitamins. I know that God will let me know when it is time to let her go if it comes to that point. And she may recover yet. She has a great appetite and is alert and restful.
I won't be breeding her again, but what to do with her will be a decision I'll wait to make. No hurry.
Rosie, another one of my Clun Forest ewes, gave me a nice big whopping pair of mules, one ewe lamb and one ram lamb. Uneventful labor, and they are doing just fine. Once Cora goes, that will be it for my Cluns. I think I have 12 Shetlands left to go.

8 comments:

Cynthia and Christopher said...

You're certainly being a great support for Alice and her lambs and it sounds like she is on the upward curve. What an outrageous outcome huh? Lovely looking lambs, even if they have become a handful.

kristi said...

That is crazy....5 at one time! I think I would be happy if I only got twins all the time, I think triplets would stress me out! So have you gotten any full polled spotted ram lambs yet? Just thinking of course:)

Garrett808 said...

Ok they are MUCH cuter now as a few days old :) I'm glad to hear Alice is doing better. Is she one of your original girls or was she the 'new' one last fall? Nightwatch is laughing at you from above ;)

thecrazysheeplady said...

I'm glad you aren't closer. I love to steal bottle lambs ;-)

Rayna said...

Just PLEASE don't bring the little runty bottle girl to any of the shows...or I could end up going home with her. They get cuter every day, and I'm a sucker for tame sheep! hehehe. Glad Alice is doing better!

Becky Utecht said...

Sounds like a good plan to deal with the excess lambs. I'm sure you will be able to find pet homes for them. I'm so glad Alice is doing better. I hope she continues to improve.

Laura said...

The babies look good. Two look normal sized, are they? If you did breed Alice she may just have triplets for you. My Angora doe that had quads took the next yea off (I bred her, but she did not kid) and has only had triplets since. Hopefully everything works out for you!

Michelle at Boulderneigh said...

Where are photos of your latest "bling"???? Sorry to hear about a stillborn....