Pages

Sunday, May 24, 2009

Arabesque & Chalmeaux lambs.

The conformation clinics are fun, but I want to share some other photos as well. We'll get back to those later.

Shelteringpines Arabesque produced ram lamb/ ewe lamb twins in March, here is how they are coming along. Sire is Wintertime Blues.


Above is the ewe lamb. She is looking sharp!

The ram lamb is looking just as good. His horns are slow growing, but I know he doesn't carry polled so it has nothing to do with that. I have two other ram lambs here that I think will have full horns. They are younger rams, and their horns are growing much more quickly. So horn growth rate is just an individual thing with some sheep.

This is Shelteringpines Chalmeaux's ram lamb. I thought he would be horned at birth, but it looks like he might be scurred. He has little flat fingernails of horn material growing sideways off his horn bud area. It will be interesting to see how his scurs grow. I do hope they arn't fatal, but you just never know with the larger scurs. Hopefully, they will just break off and continue to break off but I won't hold my breath.
His dame is either p'p or p'p'. If he is indeed scurred, then he inherited a poll gene from Eragon, and a horn gene from Chalmeaux. He'll be Pp or Pp'.


Chalmeaux's ewe lamb, who I'm going to retain. I usually don't start thinking of names until I decide if I'm going to register the sheep or not, later on in the year. But I might name her "Shamu", as that is Chalmeaux's nick-name.
Both of Chalmeaux's lambs are really nice. Very typy, nicely put together, good tails, and even have wool on the poll, which you usually don't see in spots or kats.

Here is Chalmeaux herself. She is an elegant and friendly ewe. Chalmeaux is for sale for $250. Her micron test is pending. She is a spotted katmoget and proven to throw very nice lambs. Excellent mother, no lambing issues, good bag.

I purchased Chalmeaux last year for several reasons. I needed some nice spotted sheep to get spots into my polled lines, the spotted sheep I have arn't nearly as nice as she is. Secondly, I was curious to see what the poll gene would do when mixed with p' (horned ewe) genetics. I wanted a ewe lamb to retain, and a ram lamb as a science experiment. I got what I wanted this year, so it is time for "my little cow" to go to a new home.

I can bring her to Michigan Fiber Fest and Wisconsin Sheep and Wool if someone would like to buy her. If she doesn't sell, I'll retain her and repeat the breeding with Eragon.
Chalmeaux in full fleece.






EDITED: Here are additional photographs of Chalmeaux taken on Sunday, May 24th, at 2:00 p.m.
I had previously posted two photos of Chalmeaux on pasture, immediately after being turned out after shearing. She had been in the barn since the evening before, drying out after being rained on.
I try to give them an empty rumen for shearing and subsequent hoof trimming so the rumen doesn't get injured or bloated with all the tipping, tossing, twisting, folding, and turning that the ewes endure. I think the procedure is more comfortable for them with "an empty stomach".
Chalmeaux had an empty rumen and the photos were not her most flattering. Nancy, thank you for drawing my attention to that. :)
As you can see, she isn't normally overly thin although shes does get sucked down by lactation. This isn't uncommon in lactating ewes. She has a lot of energy going into those big, healthy twins!

5 comments:

Nancy K. said...

Wow. She looks awefully thin, Jules! I KNOW you take wonderful care of your sheep so I'm wondering if her lambs take that much out of her?

Juliann said...

Hi Nancy,
Yes, she is one of a few of my ewes who obviously will tend to get sucked down by lactation for her twins. We know some ewes get sucked down more than others.
Although I'm understocked and they have plenty of pasture, the girls are getting alfalfa pellets right now to supplement them until weaning next month. Thanks for your concern, I keep a close eye on them, and she's okay. :)

Juliann said...

This photo was also taken immediately after shearing, when the sheep were locked in the barn for a day to have them dry for the shearer. I didn't feed them a lot so their rumens would be empty for the tipping of shearing and getting their hooves trimmed. So she looks thin in the photo, but she normally doesn't look this bad.

Rayna said...

:)

stephen rouse said...

Chalmeaux's lambs are incredible. Wow Juliann the breedingss really was a great success. Congrats. fleeces on the lambs look relly nice. And i love the spotting.