Pages

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Micron results in!!!!

I have been anxiously checking my mail box each day, anticipating the results on this spring's micron testing. Here they are, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Following the sheep's name is the year born, AFD, SD, and CV.

Lil'Country Adriana (2007 spotted ewe) Mic: 26.8 SD: 8.7 CV: 32.4 (yuck, but I'm culling her anyway...)

Lil'Country BabyBee (2006 moorit ewe) Mic: 28.5 SD: 4.9 CV: 17.3

Twin Springs Bearclaw (2008 spotted ram) Mic: 20.0 SD: 5.6 CV: 28.0

Shelteringpines Chalmeaux (2006 spotted kat ewe) Mic: 27.2 SD: 6.1 CV: 22.5 (she's for sale, wink!)

Lil'Country Cleopatra (2007 spotted ewe) Mic: 25.7 SD: 8.0 CV: 31.2 (I wasn't expecting her to come back with a good test, but I like everything else about this ewe, I'm not going to cull her for this.)

Lil'Country Damascus (2007 moorit ram) Mic: 32.1 SD: 6.4 CV: 19.9 (Is this okay for a ram?)

Sommerang Eragon (2007 spotted kat ram) Mic: 27.8 SD: 6.0 CV: 21.6

Lil'Country Greyson (2008 Grey gul ram) Mic: 21.3 SD: 5.2 CV: 24.4

WindyAcres Hickory (2007 moorit ram) Mic: 23.9 SD: 5.3 CV: 22.1

Lil'Country Meadow (2007 kat ewe) Mic: 26.0 SD: 5.5 CV: 21.0

Shelteringpines Pixie Stix (2008 moorit ewe) Mic: 20.9 SD: 5.8 CV: 27.6

Shelteringpines Pompey Magnus (2006 kat ram) Mic: 25.7 SD: 5.0 CV: 19.4

Lil'Country Titus Pullo (2007 black ram) Mic: 27.9 SD: 6.5 CV: 23.2 (Shame I'm culling him, he is soft!)

Shelteringpines Queen Anne's Lace (2007 white ewe) Mic: 29.4 SD: 5.0 CV: 17.0

UnderTheSon Silvio Dante (2007 modified kat ram) Mic: 26.8 SD: 5.1 CV: 19.0

Valiant Valora (2005 grey ewe) Mic: 30.4 SD: 7.3 CV: 23. 9

Just for the heck of it, 4 year old Clun Forest ewe: Mic: 32.3 SD: 7.2 CV: 22.2

My flock AVERAGE is Mic: 26.6 SD: 6.1 CV: 23.1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the results, although obviously there is room for improvement. It has been difficult to breed for polled, culling for conformation & tails, AND trying to get softer fleece on top of it.

11 comments:

Cynthia said...

Even WITH your incredible focus on polled lines these are very good numbers Juliann. Most of the Shetland community hasn't even tried to work with their fleece improvement this seriously. Nice job.

Michelle at Boulderneigh said...

I think most of your sheep have VERY nice numbers! You are to be congratulated; keep up the excellent work!

Michelle at Boulderneigh said...

Remind me again what CV stands for. BTW, I got my micron test results back, too. Garrett took my softest sheep.... :-)

Nancy K. said...

Not bad at ALL, Jules! You've done a great job and I know that it's still a work in progress. I'm not surprised, I often see that my half-polled ram lambs have the softest, finest fleeces...

Franna said...

Those results look great!
Personally, I'm more willing to carry forward a ewe who's outside my goals than a ram - for me, Damascus would be a bit too coarse, especially when you've got Hickory to compare to.
- Franna

Theresa said...

Great results, Juliann!
Just remember one thing - the dark moorits and blacks have more pigmentation in their fibers so "can" micron higher than the lighter colors. If you are wanting to keep Damascus, go by "feel".

And yes, pollies/smaller horns do tend to micron lower - but it isn't always true.

Angela Rountree said...

Congratulations, Juliann!!
I think those are great numbers, certainly better than many I have gotten! Keep up the good work.

Laura said...

I think Damascus has a nice silky fleece! He does have a low SD. I like the yearling ewe that I have out of him. She is a good size and has nice conformation as well as a nice fleece.

Juliann said...

Thank you for the kind comments, everyone. :)
I'm torn on Damascus. 32 does seem awful high on a breeding ram, I was wondering if the low SD/ CV would off-set that? And Franna you are right, we've got to be harder on rams than on ewes.
Laura, that is good to know, as I have a lamb by him now, from his snowbank climbing abilities last January. The lamb looks nice!

Michelle at Boulderneigh said...

I don't see results for Lil'Country Acorn; did you sell her? Did you ever have her fleece tested? If so, I'd like to know what they are; if not, can you give me a guess based on the numbers and handle of what you have in your flock now?

Juliann said...

Hi Michelle,
I culled Acorn last year. She had cowhocks that I thought a little too extreme.
Every and all micron tests that I have performed are entered in the NASSA Database for all to see.
Acorn was tested at the mid-side as a two year old. Her AFD was 28.10, SD 7.2 CV 25.60