Pages

Sunday, November 22, 2009

Fall micron tests.




Lil'Country BabyBee, 3.5 year old ewe. Mic 29.0 SD 5.0 CV 17.4

Underhill Bar, late yearling ewe. Mic 26.8 SD 7.2 CV 27.0

Carmela's brown gul ram lamb, Mic 28.6 SD 6.8 CV 23.8

Lil'Country Chamois, late yearling ewe: Mic 29.0 SD 6.3 CV 21.9

Lil'Country Dixie Cup, ewe lamb: Mic 28.3 SD 7.4 CV 26.2

Lil'Country Everett, ram lamb: Mic 27.3 SD 8.0 CV 29.2

Lil'Country Fun Luv, ewe lamb: Mic 26.1 SD 5.9 22.6

Underhill Galena, late yearling ewe: Mic 28.9 SD 7.6 CV 26.4

Lil'Country Giselle, late yearling ewe: Mic 29.8 SD 7.9 CV 26.5

Lil'Country Josie, late yearling ewe: Mic 30, SD 4.6 CV 15.2

Lil'Country Moss Rose, ewe lamb: Mic 23.9 SD 5.2 CV 21.7

Lil'Country Mudpie, late yearling ewe: Mic 27.3 SD 5.8 CV 21.3

Lil'Country Pineapple Queen, late yearling ewe: Mic 29.1 SD 7.0 CV 24.0

Lil'Country Shamu, ewe lamb: Mic 25.1 SD 6.8 CV 27.0

Fox Meadow Sheamus, late yearling ram: Mic 24.7 SD 4.1 CV 16.6

Lil'Country Surprise, ewe lamb: Mic 23.4 SD 5.1 CV 21.7

Lil'Country Tango, ewe lamb: Mic 27.4 SD 6.5 CV 23.6

Lil'Country Tony, ram lamb: Mic 23.9 SD 6.1 CV 26.4


October samples, taken carefully at midside off the last rib.

Some of these numbers I'm okay with, it shows that some lines are heading in the right direction. Some of my higher microning ewes have low CV and softer handle than others. Some micron lower but don't have that great a handle. I'm displeased with some results, but the individual has other contributions that I appreciate.
I've really been concentrating on conformation and tails the last few years, fleece quality is inching forward painstakingly.

I'm thrilled with Sheamus and feel good about my decision to use him heavily next year for 2011 lambs, and am confident he will have resale value when I'm through using him here.
This has been my first time doing fall tests. I will retest these sheep in the spring. I'm curious if the mature stock will test lower as they'll have more soft innercoat growing in over the winter. If that ends up being the case, if I've gathered mostly coarser outercoat for testing on my mature stock, I'll probably only test lambs in the fall and again in the spring, and mature stock in the spring only.
I'll probably take breeding groups down in another 10 days, that will be a little over 3 weeks of exposure. Whew, can't wait!
I don't know if I'll use a clean up ram or not this year. I always used a clean up in the past, but they always had proved unnecessary.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Makes me want Sheamus all the more! What a find he was!

Sabrina Wille Erickson said...

Sheamus has incredible numbers! Good for you. :)

And I'm new to micron testing, but it seems that you have some really low CV and SD.

Thanks for publishing your test results. It is only one glimpse at your flock, but it is generous that you share it.

Remember; the gift you offer your flock is seeing each animal as a whole, and believing in each one's potential to take you one step further toward your ultimate goals.

Juliann said...

Thanks, you two. My goal is to get CV under 20, I think that would give a nicer handle on even some of the higher microning ewes. I know I've got a ways to go yet.
Although Josie is 30, she feels very soft due to that tight SD.

Juliann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathy said...

I am so very glad to see that you consider more factors than relying on the micron tests alone, J.
So many times lately, I have heard people using the micron count alone as reasons to get rid of sheep. Most have been non-handspinners who have no conception of the meaning of "hand".
While you may not be happy with some of the numbers, I agree that spring may see a whole different story.
You're on the right road...it just takes a while to get there sometimes. :)

Juliann said...

Hi Kathy,

Just another tool in the toolbox. :) I do feel strongly that micron testing is very important in a fiber animal, but I consider a lot of other variables when evaluating fleece as well.
Can't wait for lambs!