Pages

Saturday, April 17, 2010

A few lambing highlights...

Been real busy lately but thought I'd touch base and share some replacement ewe lambs (future Little Country brood ewes) that I'm really excited about. 


If you know me at all, you know I LOVE spotted Shetlands. I used to have a bunch of them before I "went polled". It's been challenging, to say the least, to try and get halfway decent spotties while breeding for polled at the same time. 
   These two ewe lambs are by Sommerang Eragon, and out of Lil' Country Cleopatra. One is black, one is brown. (yeah!) And neither one of them are katmoget! I'm looking forward to watching these little darlings grow up.   

This little cutie is by Twin Springs Bearclaw, and is out of Underhill Bar, who is a North Wind Holiday daughter. And you know I love me some NW Holiday! She might go musket, she has a pink nose so I can't tell. I'll have to give her a week or so to see if she lightens. If she does, who cares? She's staying unless she develops horn buds later. (That would decrease the likelihood of her carrying polled....)  



Last but not least, this grey kat is by Pompey and out of an Octavian daughter/ Dixen granddaughter. I was hoping putting Pineapple Queen under Pompey Magnus would give me a winner. I really like this ewe lamb. She reminds me of Stephen Rouse's Possum, I'll have to come up with a cool "P" name for her if she turns out to be breeding quality.

 Got lots of other lambs here, many look very promising. Got a nice grey ram lamb (Pompey X Valora) who looks to be smooth polled, he'll be worth keeping an eye on. Nicest ram lamb born here this spring is an unfortunate "Oops". I went out a few days ago and saw Shamu (Eragon X Chalomeaux) standing over a gorgeous little moorit ram lamb. I mean gorgeous! Thing is, I didn't expose her to a ram. I thought maybe she stole it, but nope, she had a goopy rear end. It is hers. 
Someone got her through the fence. I've heard of it happening, but this was the first time I've had it happen. I have NO idea who the sire is, so he'll make a nice wether. :(

I'll post more photos later, or you can see more at the lamb blog that links to my website at littlecountrylambs.blogspot.com 

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Congrats on all the pretty spotties! I'm pretty excited about possible full-poll ram lambs here, even if they are in "plain wrappers."

Jen and Rich Johnson said...

Amazing lambs! That Pompey daughter is a knockout! I can't wait to see the other pictures.

Rich

Rayna said...

Very VERY nice lambs Juliann :)

Juliann said...

Thanks! :)

stephen rouse said...

beautiful lambs juliann!

Terri D. said...

Sweet, sweet lambs. Congrats!