Pages

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Meadow's boy.


This the my "pick of the litter" for ram lambs this year. I got a lot of scurs in my boys this spring and I'm disappointed about that. This musket katmoget ram is by Twin Springs Bearclaw, and out of Lil'Country Meadow. Meadow either carries two poll genes, or has alleles for small scurs because she always throws "smoothies". 
  
    
    He might be the only polled ram lamb I have to sell this year, depending if Valora's grey breaks off his scurs or not. Might carry spots, might not.   
   As of right now, I am planning for this to be the last year that I use a half polled breeding ram. Every time I use a half poll, I'm breeding a horn gene back into half my lambs. So I plan on using Sheamus and putting him up for sale. I suspect Hickory and Nightcap to be full polls, maybe my new Shamu boy, so I'll start using them and rearing my own suspect full poll flock sires. I've got a wide enough genetic base in my ewe flock, and I can always bring in the odd new ewe if there is some trait I want to pull in.  

5 comments:

Sabrina Wille Erickson said...

He really is a gem. Wow!

Nancy K. said...

Sounds like a good plan! You really have come SUCH a long way with your polled breeding program, Juliann. And now there are LOTS of people breeding for it. In no small part because of all the hard work and effort that YOU put in! You've truly left your mark on the Shetland breed. And done it in a thoughtful, nonthreatening, professional and conscientious manner. You should be very proud of yourself!

Juliann said...

Thanks gals.
Nancy it has been a painstaking labor of love, much like your HST's. :)

Karen Valley said...

Please send us updated photos on Sheamus. Have the photos of Bug in the camera and will get word out to you in a bit about what he is like shorn. Interested in Sheamus.

Thanks.

Juliann said...

Hi Karen,
We've been busy w/ putting up hay and stuff, I really want to get photos up of the boys now that they are shorn.
Best time to buy sheep, once one can see what they actually look like underneath the fleeces.