Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

NASSA education committee report.

Theresa Gygi recently obtained a box of educational material (books, articles, etc.) from one of the first Shetland breeders in the US. I cannot imagine how many hours Theresa spend pouring through and summarizing this information, but it deserves to go down in NA Shetland history as a comprehensive document of the history of Shetland Sheep. Every breeder and potential breeder of registered Shetlands should have a copy of this report.

http://nassaeducation.blogspot.com/

My heartfelt appreciation to Theresa, Rich Johnson, and Scott Bailey for supporting the historic Shetland, providing us with citable reference material (which was my dream as a NASSA Board member), and correcting some errors of misinformation distributed by earlier Boards. It really steams my beans that this information was buried and not made available to us (the NASSA membership) until now.   
   I hope it isn't too late to turn this breed around and restore the Shetland sheep as a premiere, fine fleeced fiber animal we can be proud of owning.

Juliann

4 comments:

stephen rouse said...

I applaud them also Juliann. I would like to say SHAME on the board members who are against this and thwarting progress... those board members should be ashamed of themselves and I call for their resignation!

Garrett808 said...

Juliann I was able to see most of those documents (as time would allow late in the evening...or early in the morning depending on how you look at it!) and I was amazed as all of the tabs that were placed in there by that early member! Time and time again the data showed exactly what we had been honestly knowing in our hearts. And that we were not wrong!

The emotional toll, the physical toll and the endless hours of these three people is just astounding and I am very much appreciative of those members on the Education Committee for taking the time to share all of this knowledge with those of us who didn't have access to this before!

Nancy K. said...

I think all the documentation is great. But I am already proud of my sheep!

;-)

Juliann said...

Nancy I am proud of my sheep, too although I acknowledge I have a LOT of work to do to get them where I want them.
But I'm mortified at the quality of some of the fleece on the hoof and roving I feel at the shows. There is a lot of good stuff out there, but some of it is truly horrendous.
I also cannot help but feel betrayed that we were spoon-fed misinformation with the "three fleece types" model early on. If it isn't accurate information, from the UK, it should have been presented as personal opinion and not as fact. I relied on our breed organization to provide me with accurate information early on to help me make intelligent purchases and pairings.
Thank goodness I have such patient, knowledgeable mentors who didn't give up on me.