Pages

Saturday, October 08, 2011

Sheep photos

    I know I haven't been blogging very much lately, sorry about that! Mostly, I've been using our farm page on Facebook since I spend more time over there. If you haven't already, please "like" our page on Facebook for more frequent updates on what is going on at Little Country Acres. There is a direct link to it on the home page of my website at www.illinoissheep.com

    I can't add too much more than what has already been said about the Jefferson show. As you can see, my ram Windy Acres Hickory, bred by Carol Bator, did very well, placing second in Mature Ram class. I am not a big show person, but I'm so very glad that I turned out to show support for Kate Sharp, Alan Hill, and my fellow breeders who worked hard to get them here. I absorbed a lot of information from them to help make me a better breeder, and I am comfortable knowing that my farm, and many others, are on the right path to preserve the Shetland here in North America. And personally, I am through with entrusting my sheep to the scrutiny of the average North American livestock judge who has cut his teeth on big white commercial sheep. We have something unique, I want to be a part of doing what is right and preserve them. 

     This is Lil'Country Bee Sting, (Fox Meadow Sheamus X Lil'Country BabyBee). I had planned on showing her in ewe lamb class, but she is as wild as a march hare and frankly I got tired of trying to halter break her. So she stayed home. (shrug)

 Lil'Country Victoria, yearling Shetland ewe. (Sommerang Eragon X Lil'Country Cleopatra).

                            Lil'Country Cleopatra (Bluff Country Kokomo X Justalit'l Lacey) Cleo is the dame of both Victoria and Twilight, my spotted twin girls who hopefully carry polled.

               Lil'Country Tanjo & Fun Luv, 2 year old moorit gulmoget ewes who are by Windy Acres Hickory and out of Shelteringpines Niobe.

                                                            Another shot of Bee Sting.

  I LOVE these two twin spotted ewe lambs by Whispering Pines Saturday Night, out of Lil'Country Shamu. Little concrete block bodies on them.


 Lil'Country Ava Adore, yearling spotted ewe by Sommerang Eragon, out of Shelteringpines Arabesque. I bred Ava last year, which I usually don't do (bred ewe lambs), she gave me a lovely black spotted ewe lamb, who is a friendly little bugger, featured below.

I still haven't named any of my keeper ewe lambs yet, guess I should get on that. :)

 Suffolk X Shetland cross wether, who will be butchered in November for one of my repeat lamb meat customers. Not thrilled with the growth on the crosses using a Shetland as a crossing dame. I cannot meet up with the demand for lamb, and so we have added.....





Katahdins!! Why Katahdins? For one thing, I think they're cool. Not only are they another attractive breed with their colors & spots, but this particular flock is 100% forage based, no grain. Their breed association, while they do have a breed standard, is a no drama association from what I can tell. Phenotype is less important than the performance and health of the individual sheep. Does the sheep shed, and how much do they weigh at 90 & 120 days? Upgrading through crossing is allowed. And most importantly, they are parasite resistant. These particular lambs were dewormed once, and they are sleek and have bright red eye membranes. I have been on a waiting list for over a year for these four registered ewe lambs. There is a lot of demand for them. I really like them.    

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Thanks for posting here for the "rest" of us. :-)

Juliann said...

Ha ha, I'll most certainly keep on blogging Michelle. I know one online addiction is enough, but if you are tempted to expand, I think you would LOVE Facebook!!