Pages

Friday, April 27, 2012

Breezing into a late lambing season


Our first lamb of 2012 came about a week earlier than I anticipated, but Lil'Country Shamu gave me a pleasant surprise this morning with a nice spotted katmoget single ewe lamb. Sire is Shelteringpines Bug. It will be fun watching this little cutie grow up.
  Can you believe I only have 7 Shetland ewes to lamb out this spring? I sold Cleopatra, Fun Luv, Tango, and Valora as bred ewes so some new shepherds can can enjoy some lambs this spring. I love turning new people on to shepherding. It's a healthy addiction to feed.
.

I'm pretty pleased with my yearling crossing ram (British Suffolk X Cheviot Mule). I had bred him back over his Mule dame and Cheviot grand dame for some market lamb this year. I love my new Katahdins and will be on the prowl for a nice ram this year to pair them with.  

Underhill Bar has isolated herself, perhaps she'll pop in the next day or so.

5 comments:

Cynthia said...

Please let me know what you find in the Katahdin world for rams. I would love to put a great ram over my girls.

Mac said...

Very cute Juliann! :) ram or ewe?

Juliann said...

Hi Cynthia, I'm very excited about the Katahdins. I have been "rooing" them to keep the coats out of my Shetland fleeces, although we've sheared recently. They are really just cool sheep. Oops Mac, that lamb is a ewe lamb, I'll update that, lol!

Voni said...

I love your little cutie! I always love seeing what you get with each new season. So was it a ewe or ram?

Jen and Rich Johnson said...

Juliann,

That is a great looking spotted ewe! You must be thrilled! Keepem' coming.

Rich Johnson