Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Happy Anniversary to us!

   I just happened to glance at my calender and saw that 10 years ago today, I purchased my first Shetland sheep.
   Ten years of breeding and culling decisions, ten years of trials, triumphs and setbacks. Ten years of making new friends and fun times. Thanks little sheep! Best of all, the poll gene is established in many North American flocks and is no longer in danger of dying out. If that's part of our legacy along with fighting the good fight for breed preservation, I'm content with that. 

    As of right now, I plan on going into fall with just 5 or 6 Shetland breeding ewes, perhaps a ewe lamb or two. I've been selling lambs as pets and it is okay with me. No muss, no fuss, no hassle and I find that I like having Shetlands again. I plan on keeping both of my ram lambs and will use the better of the two for breeding this fall.
   I'll continue with my commercial whiteface line, and I still need to find a Katahdin ram to breed my four Kat ewes with this fall.
   I still love raising sheep.

No comments: